today has not been a diamond day. nope. not at all.
it started out okay. pratt slept later than usual. he didn't wake until around 8. but now thinking back...he didn't go to bed until around 10. we went to my parents yesterday and didn't get in until late. so probably 8 was more like 6. so that makes sense now.
he didn't get a good nap yesterday being away from home. and stuff like that just adds up. i've said it a million times, but it's so true. naps make all the difference in the world in my kid's behavior. i can remember seeing kids misbehave and hearing their parents say, "oh, it's his naptime." i never believed it. now...i never doubt it. so true. very, very true.
anyway, it's just been one thing after another today. somedays i can ask him to do certain things and he will promptly reply, "okay momma!". and others (like today) i can ask him to do something and he honest to goodness figures out the exact opposite of my request and does just that. and then he looks at me. with that crap eating grin. like, "booyah. what now, old lady!?"
i bet he's been in timeout 10 times today. and spanked twice. and it's only 1230.
i've taken everything i can think of away. the latest: his b. that seemed to work.
well, by "work" i mean, he cried so hard that he stopped breathing. but he did stop hurling dirty clothes and me and the cat. it gets ugly over here, folks. real, real ugly.
he's now napping. and my prayer is that he wakes in a much better mood. if he doesn't, i might just drop him off at goodwill. or maybe i should drive him to my sister's classroom. i think she might scare the crap out of him.
i keep reminding myself of something clint said the other night. we were talking about being overwhelmed...or i was talking about it. because clint never seems to be overwhelmed with pratt. frustrated? yes. but he's so good at seeing the big picture.
me? i'm stuck. not seeing the forest for the trees.
anyway. he made the comment that he was just a kid. and that i shouldn't worry. that he would grow up to be a good, kind, loving person.
and while that may make perfect sense...sometimes i forget that. i see him as this toddler. this 2.5 year old kid throwing fits. being mean to people. demanding attention. screaming when he doesn't get his way. etc, etc.
it's hard for me to think of him as grown.
that's my fear though. that when he's grown up, he will still do the same things. demand attention. expect anything and everything he wants to just be handed to him. throw things.
i pray a lot. outloud and quietly to myself. i pray that God give me the strength to know what to do in certain situations. i pray that i know what to say when i'm correcting him. i pray for patience. i pray constantly.
i've never had a more difficult job. of course, i've never loved any job like i love this one.
but sometimes i need a glass of wine. and today is one of those days. and i can't have one. so i think i'm gonna go eat a snicker easter egg. and maybe take a bath. and maybe when pratt wakes up, we will go to target. and buy popcorn and an apple juice box. and just walk around the store. looking at things we wish we could splurge on.
yes...that sounds good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
you know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - dr. seuss
About Me
- hannah
- i'm a girl who likes to write. not a girl that's necessarily good at writing. it's cathartic, i think. and boy do i need that from time to time. i married a wonderful man named clint in may of 2007. he is everything i am not. he is calm. he makes plans. he is organized. his truck is always clean. his clothes are hung by types of shirt/color/size/etc. i'm full of nervous energy. i'm spur of the moment. i can't ever find what i'm looking for. we live in my car...pretty much. i'm lucky if my clothes are within ten feet of my closet. God gave us a precious angel of a baby in september of 2008. his name is pratt allen. he is 2.5 years old.we have another little one on the way. his name is max wesley. and he is due may 19th. somehow i'll be the mother of two boys. craaaaa.zy. i spend my days cleaning house. picking worms and caterpillars out of the flower beds. cooking meals. shopping at target. washing clothes. playing on the floor. reading books. doing puzzles. traveling to sonic. and the library. and blogging. i hope you enjoy our blog. feel free to leave a comment. hopefully it's a nice one. i tend to wear my heart on my sleeve.
3 comments:
Quit blogging. You make me cry. I feel so normal when I read it that I cry. I'm having the same kind of day. I feel like I could pull my hair out or throw all the dishes against the backyard fence. I sat in target this morning... Against the wall and let will go to town in the toy section. And I wished for wine. The end.
Hannah I don't know you or even know how I came across your blog but you are seriously the funniest person ever. I literally laugh out loud at most of your posts and I just wanted to finally say hi and thanks for putting into words the EXACT feelings and things I am going through day to day as a mommy of two little ones! :) And I think Pratt and my oldest son are really close in age. My son was born September 21, 2008. Anyway, you are hilarious! :)
Hannah, I just randomly found your blog. I actually know your sister, my cousin is friends with her & have a friend that teaches with her. But, I randomly ran across your blog. You are such a blessing to me! Reading about your struggles & great memories as a mother, makes me look around & know we are normal!! lol Congrats & Best wishes on the new addition.
Post a Comment