Friday, January 16, 2009

overflow.

so, so much on my mind. i'll try to make sense of it. if my grammer is bad, i apologize. i am having trouble keeping thoughts separate at the moment...so sorry if this jumbles together.

pratt has been fighting sleep like a maniac lately. the past four nights, he's slept from around 830 to 530 or 6. it's been heaven. but getting him to sleep, not heaven. the other place.

last night was the worst so far. he took his last nap at around 1230. and woke around 1. at 4, i put him down and he woke after about 10 minutes. i figured it was because he was wet. i changed his diaper, gave him more bottle...and nothing. no sleep. at 6, he was exhausted and his mom was beyond exhausted with the worlds world headache. splitting. light hurt. sound hurt. everything hurt. he was standing in his car...grasping the windshield as tight as i've ever seen him do. just staring a hole in me. he was flat exhausted. but was not giving up the fight.



clint got home around 7. something like that. it's all really starting to run together. i just remember he said something like, "oh, good...no nap...maybe this means he will sleep all night again."

let me just say something here. NO! NO! NO! that is NOT what this means. i have told him this over and over and over again. no nap means no sleeping at night. for whatever reason...he's one of the smartest people i know...but he DOES NOT get this. no nap means overtired. and i don't care that he says this doesn't make sense. IT DOES. it's real. i live it. alot. i live the overtired thing alot. i'm the one getting up at all hours of the night. so trust me on this.

he makes the comment...and immediately, i'm done. stick a fork in me. done. d.o.n.e.

i had to fight the urge to get in my car and just drive away. anywhere. turn up the music as loud as it would go and drive. maybe to little rock...maybe to oklahoma. maybe to check on those people in the hudson river. pretty much..anywhere. but i swore a long time ago, i'd never leave. and this is considered leaving. so i hung around.

it's around 730 at this point. pratt is fussy. i get a bottle and i'm convinced that i'm feeding him and he's going to bed. clint tries to help me. i told him no. that i could do it. at this point, i meant business. and i didn't want there to be any play going on. i wasn't in the mood for play. i wasn't in the mood for late night laughs. i wanted sleep.

8 pm. i put him in his bed. he is exhausted. eyes shut. breathing slowed down. limp like a ragdoll. when i lay him down and get him semi-swaddled, he wakes. those big eyes open wide. and he begins to whimper. i just kiss his forehead and walk out.

downstairs, clint is working on his dinner. it's 8 pm and i haven't eaten...since oh, i dunno...1. seven hours ago. so i stand there. watching him make his own dinner. while i hear my child on the monitor begin to cry harder. the noise begins to rise. a little louder. it's getting worse by the minute.

i turn the oven on to make mini corn dogs. because that's literally all we have to eat. besides the ramen that my husband is making himself.

i have about 5 mini corndogs out when i get so angry. it hits me all at once.

i have cleaned bottles. i have cleaned house. i have cleaned a butt, a face, a runny nose. all of it. i've done it all by myself all day. i have a splitting headache. my child is now getting louder and louder and i look over at my husband. and you know what he's doing? he's stirring the noodles of his ramen into that dang bowl as slow as molasses.

i think he said something like, "i'll go get him. let me eat first."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

seriously!!!!???? seriously????? "let me eat first." did he really just say that?

there have been times when i've not been able to urinate because i'm busy with the child. nursing or changing a diaper or whatever. "let me eat first". o.m.g.

i think i'll put that on his tombstone. i need to write that down so that maybe 80 years from now, i'll think it's funny and not want to kill him for it.

i scream horrible words at him. horrible. and he says things right back. so don't go feeling all sorry for him (i know my mother thinks i'm terrible...and she is always on his side. so mom, don't be feeling sorry for him at this point. he deserved some of it just for making his own dinner and not asking if i was hungry. which of course i was because i hadn't eaten since 1. and i'm chubby and tend to eat every 3 to 4 hours. like a baby, yes)

i go upstairs. and i won't go into detail here...because again, it all runs together. but i remember leaning down into pratt's crib. he had tears all over his face. tears get me. they get me good. i leaned down, put my face up to the right side of his face. cheek to cheek. i'm holding his tiny little left hand in mine. i'm holding onto the side of the crib with my left hand. i'm doing the "shhhh". and i feel his little right hand come up. it ever so slightly moves around...and then he finds my forehead. and as gentle as anything i've ever experienced, he rubs my forehead with his tiny little hand. back and forth. it's at that point, i begin crying.

he has been getting pretty good with his hands. trying to reach for things. but he's never gentle about it. he's rough. he's not good with fine motor skills yet. and has a tendancy to pop you on the face. or the chest.

but not this time. this time, he moves with such grace that i am sure it was God moving through him. i am one hundred percent positive it was my Father. telling me to slow down. telling me that this little boy needs me. reminding me that i'm the mom now. and i can't go to my room anymore, slink down on my bed and cry out, "i want my mommy." because i'm the mom.

because there is a new child who will cry that. and i'm the big person who needs to be there. when all i want to do is run away.

he finally fell asleep. and i wish i could say that clint was right. and that he slept through the night. but i mean, come on. of course he didn't. he was overtired. and he woke at 1. and at 3. and then again at 5. and we were up and at 'em around 7.

he's sleeping now and has been for about 30 minutes. hopefully today he'll sleep better.

it's like i find myself at a new low. and then, with His perfect timing...i'm given the strength to get back up again.

and ps. i love my husband. but i promised myself long ago that i'd be honest here. unfortunately, pratt will not grow up in a house where clint and i don't argue. he will see us get upset with each other. but he will always know...he will always always always find comfort in knowing that we WILL work through it.

i remember seeing my parents get upset with each other. my mom had her hands full. she would leave to go to the grocery and we'd come downstairs and say, "dad, where's mom." he'd say something like, "well, you girls were fighting and wouldn't listen or eat your dinner...so she's gone to new york to live with aunt carol."

i assume she was always just driving around to let off stress. but she always came back. and we knew it.

what i'm saying is that there is no point in me trying to act perfect. clint and i argue. we fight. i cry. he doesn't...probably because i do enough for both of us.

but we will always work it out. because a cord of three strands is not easily broken, right? right.

12 comments:

Ben and Bethany said...

well not that it makes it any better but you're not alone...this could seriously be an "insert name here" template... For some reasons 'dads' just don't have the same urgency that we do and while they can eat first we never, ever could. Maybe we could eat simultaneously but never first :)

And this is exactly why athletes say "hi mom" when on camera!

Anonymous said...

The Hudson river comment was priceless. I have had those moments. And they are always because Brandon says something foolish. Dad's just don't get it I dont think. Even smart ones. I will ask Brandon to read this post...maybe that will help! Hearing it from another woman! But you are right, you will always work it out...thanks for the honesty! Hope today is better for you!

The Bells said...

I just put a new blog entry on my page entitled "I love...." and I wish I had a picture of you on there. I love you, Hannah. I do. And I cry easily these days...hormones? Exhaustion? Whatever....please keep posting, and please keep the honesty coming. I love it.

Meredith said...

Oh Hannah....wish I could tell you that it all gets better, and little Pratt will eventually sleep all night, every night...and daddies learn to feel and act on the things that we instinctively know and do...but that would not be true. At least not at my house. :)

Amazing how God uses even infants to help us feel his presence. And how when we are literally at the end of our rope, our children do or say something that makes us dig deep and find more of ourselves to give them. I hope that I can do the same when God feels on the verge about my behavior.

PS--The overtired theory is 100% true!! Better sleep in the day time= better sleep at night.

Chris & Whitney said...

Hannah Fulks...we have got to get together and let our kids play...and us talk. There are so many things that you and I go through together (read: at pretty much the same times) Blakely's not sleeping either...it's the 2 teeth she's cutting right now. And I'm exhausted...no, I'm past exhausted. And I find myself in the same emotional place you are w/ everyone...Chris, Alyssa, Blakely, my parents...everyone. Thank you for being so honest...and when you feel the emotions creeping up on you again, remember the little moments, like the one with Pratt in his crib, when God shows up and reminds you of His strength...I promise it helps. And I promise (even though I have to keep reminding my own self) that more regular sleep will come again!

emily and adrian said...

Well you needed to vent, and you know...blogging does help, because it's sort of like writing in your journal, only better, because you know someone is listening...people who love you and understand.
I could write a book on the stupid things Adrian has said...and I'm sure he could write a book about my crying episodes and frequent dropping of the F bomb. You know what though, the sweet is never as sweet without the sour. But just for the record, you are right about everything...mothers are always right.....always!
I'm impressed that you don't drive away. I drive away...and I wish my mother would have driven away more when i was young...for me, it's better than staying at home and risking our good china.
A month or so ago, at midnight...I tried to talk to Adrian about something, and he said these words, "go away." Red. Alert!!!
He shewed me away like a pet. Oh I went away. I drove to Anna's house and snoked like five hand rolled cigaretts. I don't smoke Hannah..have not since college! Hey, it was all natural tobacco at least. Anyway, you get a gold medal for not driving away...that takes courage!
We all know Clint is wonderful, don't worry!
Jane Hill uses a white noise machine to keep her baby asleep and it seems to work.
We all love you Hannah, thanks for making me laugh even though I'm sure this night was not funny to you!

Laura said...

I agree with everyone, so I won't be redundant, but thanks for writing. It's cathartic - and good for you. And, it's good for us too. So, keep it up, let it out, and blog often. *hug*

Ashley said...

everyone has these nights. for me, it always revolves around me being exhausted and justin not helping as much as i think he should. it won't take many more... guys learn very quickly (or should i say slowly?)...i'm saying eventually he will get the signals early that you are exhausted (not just super duper tired, like usual) and will jump in there. babies have such a sweet way of making it possible to push through these tough times, don't they? precious little angels.

Tinsley Family said...

I also agree with everyone, and i love you and clint...i love this blog and your honesty. You have no idea how it touches me to read and know i have felt the very same way so many times. you are NOT alone. Mommys are special super heros, we just don't get to wear the fun leotards :)

Lauren McKnight said...

So I don't have a child so my life really can't compare at this point. But I did want to say that I REALLY admire your honesty and the fact that you didn't drive away. I have to. HAVE TO. Or I will say something I don't mean. I can picture Neil doing the same thing Clint did. Guys just don't get it. And I cry over everything. And Neil never sheds a tear. Oh that gets to me. Your blogs are a shining spot in my day because you are just so real. I love it.

Ashley said...

sorry, i got summoned before i could finish my comment. anyway, i wanted to tell you: remember, you can always just take two tylenol and go lay down with him. if you are exhausted and he is exhausted (and he's fed, changed, and well), just go lay down with him until you both fall asleep. this way you can flop down and "give up" without him feeling abandoned. try to eat more often, too; that was probably half your problem (low blood sugar)!! LOVE your blog! so honest!!

Cari said...

Thanks for the ab workout. You are so awesome. amazing. funny. real. and rockin' my socks off. When are you going to sign a book deal??

you know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - dr. seuss

About Me

My photo
i'm a girl who likes to write. not a girl that's necessarily good at writing. it's cathartic, i think. and boy do i need that from time to time. i married a wonderful man named clint in may of 2007. he is everything i am not. he is calm. he makes plans. he is organized. his truck is always clean. his clothes are hung by types of shirt/color/size/etc. i'm full of nervous energy. i'm spur of the moment. i can't ever find what i'm looking for. we live in my car...pretty much. i'm lucky if my clothes are within ten feet of my closet. God gave us a precious angel of a baby in september of 2008. his name is pratt allen. he is 2.5 years old.we have another little one on the way. his name is max wesley. and he is due may 19th. somehow i'll be the mother of two boys. craaaaa.zy. i spend my days cleaning house. picking worms and caterpillars out of the flower beds. cooking meals. shopping at target. washing clothes. playing on the floor. reading books. doing puzzles. traveling to sonic. and the library. and blogging. i hope you enjoy our blog. feel free to leave a comment. hopefully it's a nice one. i tend to wear my heart on my sleeve.