Wednesday, January 28, 2009

b.spears.

just call me britney spears. that's right. and while you're at it...you might want to call dhs.

i nearly cut the entire top of pratt's pointer finger off last friday.

let's review. he got his shots on thursday. poor guy. and friday morning, while cookie was feeding him...i thought it'd be a good time to clip his nails. he was really starting to look like he might be snorting something with that pinky nail of his. i'm just saying...

so cookie is giving him a bottle, and i began clipping. thumb nail...no problem.

let me say here that clint had clipped them about a week prior. he cut one down in the quick which made both pratt and myself...well, we both cried. after being critical about how clint was "supposed to be pretty good with his hands and all"...since he was a dentist for crying out loud...i told him he was never allowed to clip pratt's nails again.

karma. it will get you. every.single.time.

so i am on the pointer nail. i look down, see nail..and clip. and immediately, his little mouth opens. no noise, just an open mouth and HUGE, wide eyes. and then he screams. i look down and think, "what.ev. he's being dramatic. i totally had nail."

and then i see where, nope...i had NO nail. instead i had ALL SKIN! yes, people. allllllllll skin. his little thin, soft, baby skin.

i bet it bled for 10 solid minutes.

i almost threw up. the girl who spent a year in medical school. cutting on a cadaver for a semester. carrying his limbs over to the sink to clean them out. checking prostates. finding buttholes...or not finding buttholes...(there is a story behind this...quite possibly the funniest story of my life)....almost threw up at the site of blood.

it's because it was my baby's blood. and there was sooooo much of it.

it finally stopped. with the help of cookie who basically took over. because i was about as useless as a screen door on a submarinie.

after the initial shock wore off, pratt was good. fine. like nothing happened. cookie took these pictures after the injury.

we were worried he'd put his hand in his mouth. and then of course, i had it in my head that he would put the hand in his mouth, pull the bandaid off, and choke on it. and so i put a sock over it. i thought it was genius. clint made fun of it. :) typical...

oh, the pink on the sock is not blood. it's tylenol. his shots were the day before and i was worried with the cut and all...that it might help a little.







and here is a picture that nancy got while she was with him this past weekend. i absolutely LOVE it! he is a child of many, many facial expressions. and this is just one of my faves. hilarious! thank you nana! and thanks for clipping his remaining fingernails. from now on, that's something i'll leave up to you. :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the last picture...such a cute, cute face!! I am still scared to cut the nails. I may hold off a while after your experience...no worries tho, you are still a great mommy!!

Laura said...

baby nails are the bane of my days. They grow so stinkin' fast, and she'll scratch her face, and I'm worried the pediatrician is going to think that I'm scratching her or something... I don't know if I'll ever be brave enough to use the clippers, kuddos to you. And of course Pratt is fine - these things don't phase them.

cute pictures too. I love his smile.

Christy said...

Don't beat yourself up for it, Hannah! I know of many many moms that have done that. Guess what though...the kids won't ever remember it!

Rebecca (Sam's wife) said...

he is so cute! aren't they so much fun!? don't feel too bad-I did the same thing too. I felt so bad and now I make my hubby do it. he does a good job. we usually do it one hand at a time while i am nursing her. i know, but it works and that is when i would notice they needed clipping b/c my chest would be all red from her little hands. you are a good momma!

The Proctors said...

Hey Hannah! I love reading your blog...I hope you remember me from OBU. I just wanted to comment and say that I did the same exact thing when Landon was around Pratt's age and I totally freaked out just the way you did! I still hate using the clippers on him and he's 3! With Taylor...I just bit her nails for the longest time! I know that sounds gross but the nurse at the hospital mentioned it and I thought "What the heck!" Their little nails are so small. I feel you girl!

The Bradford's said...

I did that at 10 pm one night. Except that is took 3 hours to get it to stop not 10 minutes. I had gotten him up to top off his tank before I went to bed and he fell out asleep as soon as he was done. I thought if would be a great time to clip those monster claws.

carozza said...

don't worry! karolines first tear came from me cutting her finger instead of her nail. it was that last nail she was squirming away and i just had to cut it.
poor kids! how do they ever survive.
i love that last pic of him. he is so adorable!!!!!

Molly & John Telford said...

i think that everyone has done this....i did it very early on and felt so very bad! i got that same reaction from quincy----eyes wide open and then a very loud wail. and he gave me the worst guilt look ever, like, "mom, how could you hurt me, your only son"...awful! let me know how the doc appt goes today...

you know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - dr. seuss

About Me

My photo
i'm a girl who likes to write. not a girl that's necessarily good at writing. it's cathartic, i think. and boy do i need that from time to time. i married a wonderful man named clint in may of 2007. he is everything i am not. he is calm. he makes plans. he is organized. his truck is always clean. his clothes are hung by types of shirt/color/size/etc. i'm full of nervous energy. i'm spur of the moment. i can't ever find what i'm looking for. we live in my car...pretty much. i'm lucky if my clothes are within ten feet of my closet. God gave us a precious angel of a baby in september of 2008. his name is pratt allen. he is 2.5 years old.we have another little one on the way. his name is max wesley. and he is due may 19th. somehow i'll be the mother of two boys. craaaaa.zy. i spend my days cleaning house. picking worms and caterpillars out of the flower beds. cooking meals. shopping at target. washing clothes. playing on the floor. reading books. doing puzzles. traveling to sonic. and the library. and blogging. i hope you enjoy our blog. feel free to leave a comment. hopefully it's a nice one. i tend to wear my heart on my sleeve.