Saturday, March 7, 2009

update on zoe.


below is erin's latest post on sweet zoe.

i wanted to include a picture because it's always nice to put a face with a name.
as i read the update, i had pratt's monitor right next to me. i can hear the music coming through...and i can click on the video to see him sleeping soundly in his bed.

it's so hard for me to imagine what zoe's parents are feeling. i remember driving home from the hospital after pratt was born. he wasn't with us. it was just me and clint. i had not stopped crying. i mean, i began crying when he was two days old and we got the call in the hospital room that an iv had been put in his forehead. because supposedly there is a large vein there. and so they wanted to warn us when we saw him. they were afraid it might be shocking. yes, "shocking"...to say the least.

that's when i started crying. and i don't think i stopped until he got home ten days later. anyway...i remember driving home. or riding home. and clint got upset somewhere near bryant. i remember it like it was yesterday.

he said, "i'm supposed to be able to take care of you two. i'm supposed to be the one doing this. not the hospital. not the nurses. i feel helpless."

my feelings were different. immediately, i realized his feelings were those of a man. of a father. of a husband.

my feelings were those of a mother. of a wife. i just wanted him home. i wanted to be the caregiver. the provider.

i cannot imagine how erin feels at this moment. knowing that next week, zoe will start something...and erin will worry every single day.
our children aren't supposed to be sick. i would take any illness...and i honestly mean ANY illness for pratt. and i know that erin would say the same thing.

please keep zoe in your prayers. or in your thoughts. whatever you call them. think of her next week as she starts treatment.

as my dad says..."be thankful for your health. for without it...we have very little."

Posted 13 hours ago

Three days into this journey Dr. Mayo, my residency Program Director, sent a text. It reads, "Your dad saved her life. Pretty cool grandfather, I'd say." I cannot bring myself to erase this. While I absolutely recognize this and thank God everyday for the way things fell into place, I would also like to thank a silent hero. This would be my mom. In situations like these, I have realized that mothers have a remarkable instinct to take charge in order to overcome crisis. I have stepped back and seen strength in me that never could I have imagined I had. I have also seen it with my mother on many occasions. She has stepped in as surrogate for Miss Emma. :) She has also continued to be mother and friend to me, gramma to Zoe, wife to papa, mother-in-law, etc. She does not question the times I need to take a short nap, take a shower, post an update. For this, mom, I am so very grateful. We could not do it without you.

We are in Camden this weekend visiting with family and friends before we begin therapy. This weekend is the Daffodil Festival and with this was a Spaghetti Supper which we attended last night. Many people were able to visit with Zoe throughout the day and remarked at how great she seemed to be feeling. While this is true, she has not yet started therapy. I am afraid the picture of health will change within the week. Please continue to lift her up in prayer. She has an amazing spirit that is sure to get her through this.

I would like to thank Dr. Amy DeLuca of Camden. She has organized a Relay for Life team in Zoe's honor named "Hope for Zoe." While purchasing raffle tickets at the Relay for Life booth yesterday, I noticed luminaries "In honor of" people with or who have survived cancer. It was a strange feeling when I realized that I should buy one for Miss Zoe. What made it better was the hope that if all goes as well as possible, she may have completed treatment at the time of the walk in June. Lets "Hope for Zoe."

Everyday is a new day and everyday meets Ben and me with greater strength. I know there will be days that set us back but the awesome support we have will just lift us back to where we need to be for our little "tough nut." In random conversation last night, she informed me that she would live to be 132 years old!

Zoe, you are an awesome girl. Mommy, Daddy, Emma and so very many people love you. Stay strong, baby girl!

No comments:

you know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - dr. seuss

About Me

My photo
i'm a girl who likes to write. not a girl that's necessarily good at writing. it's cathartic, i think. and boy do i need that from time to time. i married a wonderful man named clint in may of 2007. he is everything i am not. he is calm. he makes plans. he is organized. his truck is always clean. his clothes are hung by types of shirt/color/size/etc. i'm full of nervous energy. i'm spur of the moment. i can't ever find what i'm looking for. we live in my car...pretty much. i'm lucky if my clothes are within ten feet of my closet. God gave us a precious angel of a baby in september of 2008. his name is pratt allen. he is 2.5 years old.we have another little one on the way. his name is max wesley. and he is due may 19th. somehow i'll be the mother of two boys. craaaaa.zy. i spend my days cleaning house. picking worms and caterpillars out of the flower beds. cooking meals. shopping at target. washing clothes. playing on the floor. reading books. doing puzzles. traveling to sonic. and the library. and blogging. i hope you enjoy our blog. feel free to leave a comment. hopefully it's a nice one. i tend to wear my heart on my sleeve.