my mom cooked dinner nearly every night. yes. i'm not exaggerating. and i don't mean dinner for napoleon dynamite...dinner like i make...quesidillas (say it with an "l") and tots. no, i mean, dinner. like, something you'd see on top chef, dinner. a "colorful plate" is what she would always say. which meant that there'd be a green vegetable, usually rice or pasta, homeade rolls, some type of protein, and something red. or orange. i don't know how she did it. oh, and dessert. and she's one of those people who can literally just walk in the pantry, pull a couple of items off the shelf and voila...there is dessert. she is the invisible chef...as everyone in camden knows her. that was her restaurant.
i mean, i'm here all day and i can't do it. and she was teaching school and having it done by 6 pm every.single.night. who knows.
when pratt was just a little bitty thing...you know, like a month old or something. my aunt betty sent me an article on the importance of making your own baby food. i thought it would be a great idea. i mean, see the first sentence in the above paragraph..."i'm here all day". i should be growing a garden and sewing clothes...i really should. but i'm not that talented. or intelligent. i once thought i was doing andy a favor and re-potted his orchid in dirt. i think my exact quote to my husband about it was, "well, for whatever reason, andy's orchid was planted in bark and trash. so i re-potted it in dirt. you can thank me later."
yes, it's dead now. apparently, orchids don't need dirt. who knew?
anyway, my mom bought me a wonderful baby cooker/steamer/blender from williams-sonoma. or as i like to call it, heaven on earth. it's by beaba. and it's one of the coolest things i've ever seen. nancy bought me the matching trays and spoons. the trays are kind of like ice cube trays with lids. you use them to freeze the baby food. they are made of this bpa free, special rubber material that is pliable. silicone, i think.
here is the ad on http://www.williams-sonoma.com/

and here are the trays for freezing the food.

i have a cookbook and everything! i'm so excited about starting. i've tried to read about what the best thing is to start out giving babies. there are so many conflicting opinions out there. but i think i'm going to go with rice and butternut squash. the literature i found says to start with one food and try it for at least a week. and not to give anything else besides formula with that one food. makes sense.
here is the cookbook.

i'll let you know how it goes. i always swore that i wouldn't make him eat anything that i didn't try. i'm much more likely to eat what i make. weird, maybe. but hey, i've never claimed to be normal.

6 comments:
Interesting...I will have to look into this! Maybe! I am curious to see how it goes, how easy it is...and how much time it takes!! Thats a really neat idea though...
I'm stalking you again. Saw the title of this post and had to check it out.
Just wanted to say that I have made all of Noah's baby food and it's been wonderful! He is the best eater and I KNOW part of the reason is that he gets fresh, real food. And it is not nearly as difficult or time consuming as you might think! good luck! Oh, and we started with rice cereal too, and then his first veggie was butternut squash. Worked great.
I was looking at that babyfood maker at Williams-Sonoma just the other day!
Good luck. I hope you enjoy coming up with new recipes for him!
I'm going to suggest avocado ( eventually) - great heart healthy fats and all you have to do is mash it up :) Jackson LOVES it.
Awww man! Here I was feeling so good about buying ogranic baby food...then Hannah has to blog about making her own!! jk.
My sister has always insisted that making baby food is easy and cheap. I think if I had a how to guide I might be better at it. You chould post your favorite recipes for the slacker moms...um, for me.
another good book to check out is super baby food. i have had my eye on the cookbook though..may need to check it out.
Post a Comment