dear pratt,
we spent almost two hours in target this afternoon. it's official, you love it there. that's good, because i love target more than any other place in the world. well, no...i love that hotel where we stayed on our honeymoon in the dominican republic...and then target. yes, target is second. but i mean, come on. second to the beach. i think the target people would say that's pretty good.
i bought a cd with lullabies on it. with no words. i can't sleep to words. i'm pretty sure your brain would continue working, trying to figure out what the words mean (like when the tv is on)...so bought the one that is purely instrumental.
i played it tonight while we rocked. up to this point, you haven't really ever let me rock you to sleep. you're way to worried about what's going on around you. but tonight, for whatever reason...you let me rock you to sleep. and i know that i'm probably not supposed to. i'm supposed to let you soothe yourself...but life's too short. i wanted to rock you. like a baby. because you don't seem all that much like a baby lately.
as you lay there in my arms, a song came on. i recognized it immediately. well, not the title...but it was a song that was played at some point during "father of the bride". this is a movie that one day you'll wonder why i watch over and over and over again. that and "sleepless in seattle" and "you've got mail". you'll probably never get it. your dad doesn't. he rolls his eyes when he comes in and i'm watching them. he laughs at me, because every.single.time they are on, i cry. like, big crocodile tears, cry.
anyway, the song came on. and suddenly your life flashed before my eyes. i realized that all too soon, you'd be grown. you'd be in high school. you'd have your first car. your first date. and you'd be too big for me to rock. you'd be too big for me to hold. but don't for a second think that i won't be like that old lady in "i love you forever." because i will drive over to your house and get you out of bed and rock you.
i don't want you to grow up. i really don't. i want you to stay this age forever. i cannot imagine what i'll do the first time someone hurts your feelings. oh, man...i'm nuts.
you're fast asleep now. even the tears that were pouring out of my eyes didn't wake you. it's a good thing. maybe you won't know how crazy your mom is. maybe you'll grow up thinking i'm normal.
a girl can always hope...right?
i love you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
you know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - dr. seuss
About Me
- hannah
- i'm a girl who likes to write. not a girl that's necessarily good at writing. it's cathartic, i think. and boy do i need that from time to time. i married a wonderful man named clint in may of 2007. he is everything i am not. he is calm. he makes plans. he is organized. his truck is always clean. his clothes are hung by types of shirt/color/size/etc. i'm full of nervous energy. i'm spur of the moment. i can't ever find what i'm looking for. we live in my car...pretty much. i'm lucky if my clothes are within ten feet of my closet. God gave us a precious angel of a baby in september of 2008. his name is pratt allen. he is 2.5 years old.we have another little one on the way. his name is max wesley. and he is due may 19th. somehow i'll be the mother of two boys. craaaaa.zy. i spend my days cleaning house. picking worms and caterpillars out of the flower beds. cooking meals. shopping at target. washing clothes. playing on the floor. reading books. doing puzzles. traveling to sonic. and the library. and blogging. i hope you enjoy our blog. feel free to leave a comment. hopefully it's a nice one. i tend to wear my heart on my sleeve.
8 comments:
Sweet...I love rocking Brylee. It seems like both of them are growing way too fast, and its hard on a mom :)
OH I love this and can soo relate! I might plagerize this and stick it in James's babybook! :)
I cry every time father of the bride is on too. Its a daddy's girl movie for sure. A very sweet post.
Such a sweet post. I always rock Noah to sleep for naps and my husband rocks him at night. You're right, life is waaay too short. Who cares what you are "supposed" to do.
And PS. we love Target too. Noah grins when she sees that big bullseye, and all the checkout ladies at our Target know him and love him
Ok I realize I just called my son "she" Just a typo I promise!
I think the mom in the 'i love you forever' book is a bit psycho. Doesn't she peek in to her grown son's bedroom with binoculars or something. Or maybe she just climbs up to the window and is peaking in on him? I don't know...I just remember thinking 'psycho'. Wait...you're right. It totally fits. ;o)
Hopefully you know I'm playing. I think you are one of the best moms I know and definitely will be protective of that cute baby boy! He's so precious! I think I'll be helping you pulvarize whoever hurts little Pratt's feelings. Watch out playground kids...
any time i need a good cry, i can always rely in Father of the Bride OR Father of the Bride II. I totally get it!! :)
Post a Comment