sunday morning you were christened. what does this mean? well...let's see.
it means that we will raise you in a church. it means that that church will watch you grow...and hold us, as your parents, accountable to raising you in a Godly manner.
it means you are forgiven for your sins. the sins that you will inevitably commit.
you're covered for the little fibs you give me when you're five and you don't want to admit to eating the starburst you've snuck out of bed to eat after we've already brushed your teeth. or for taking the mickey mouse backpack from the disneyworld store without paying for it (ask sugar about this). or for being ugly to the brother or sister i hope that you have one day.
it means that you should live your life doing good for ALL of those around you. even those that hurt your feelings. even those who won't ever be baptised. we're all children of God. so you have to be kind to every last one of them. this is hard...the "being kind to everyone" part. if you figure out how to do it, let me know. i'm trying...but i fail every single day.
it means that because you are constantly forgiven, you must forgive those who hurt you. this is even more difficult than being nice to everyone. but it feels so good when you are big enough to do it. so always try to be that big.
it means that when you feel so, so alone...you aren't. there is someone so much bigger than me or your dad. someone so much bigger than superman or spiderman. bigger than bumble bee in the transformers. someone so much bigger than anything you can imagine who is watching over you. He made you. He created you. He loaned you to me and your daddy. He "pays so much attention to you...down to the last detail - even numbering the hairs on your head!"
it means that when you get old enough...accountable enough...you can stand up and say that you accept Christ as your savior. and you want Him to live in your heart. a day when you decide it for yourself. not just when we've decided it for you.
until that day, your dad and i will do everything in our power to raise you in a good way. in a way that is pleasing in His sight. we are so lucky you belong to us.
i love you, mommy.
ps. here are some pictures from your special day. a special thank you to the winningham family for coming all the way out to see us! we love you guys so much! and how cute are madeline and allie? i love it! (and of course, thanks to my family and clint's family for coming...but we knew y'all would come :)










5 comments:
That is awesome.. Hannah.. just Awesome. WHy werent' we better friends in High School? Don't tell me its because I was so much older than you.. but I wish you were closer to me.. I think I might laugh everyday!!!
Love this post, Hannah. Will you explain Baptism to my kids too. I could never explain it so well. Love you. It was a beautiful day.
I agree. Can I copy and paste this into Abby's baby book? ...I'm only kidding, but it really is a great, great letter for Pratt to read one day
Finally, I got to catch up on the blog. I want to see all of the photo's that were taken of Pratt. I did see the black/white on the bed. It is wonderful!!!
Congratulations on such a special day!
Post a Comment