i don't know that this is really the place to be doing this...but i'm gonna do it anyway. because what i'm about to say does affect my children. and my relationship with them. and their daddy.
a few days ago, a friend of mine on facebook posted about how she was going to be helping people with their new years resolutions to get and stay fit. she's a beachbody coach. she's awesome. and scary. really, really scary. she said she was going to be on me like white on rice. and i believe it.
this friend is someone i go to church with. i don't know her all that well. but i think it's because we've never really done much together. i think that if we had the chance, we would probably be pretty good friends. all that to say, i messaged her. and opened myself up. and told her things i haven't ever told anyone.
well, maybe one person. my friend whitney.
but that's irrelevant. i told my friend my story. about why i wanted, needed her help.
and when i hit send, i prayed she didn't think i was crazy.
she didn't. she knew exactly how i felt. and she had felt the same way. but over the past year, she has totally changed her life. and i believe that she can help me to change mine.
i don't know where to start. so i'll just jump in.
i'm not a fan of myself physically. i don't know when this started.
but i think i know why. or maybe what sort of helped the process to begin.
i was in the 11th grade. i had on a cheerleading uniform. see, clara. i really was a cheerleader :)
i was standing at the end of the science hallway in our high school. a boy, a year younger than me, was walking toward me. when he got about 3 feet away, he said, "what's up ham hock legs?"
i will never, ever forget it.
it is etched into my mind just like the face of pratt. and max. and clint. and my mom and dad. it's that permanent.
i almost threw up. on the inside. but i think i smirked on the outside. didn't let him know that he had hurt me so much. he was actually a "friend". if those existed in high school. i don't know that they really did.
now fast forward 3 years. maybe 4. i was dating a guy in college. we were in abercrombie and fitch. and he looked up at one of the models on the posters in there and he said, "if you looked like that, i'd be more apt to ask you to marry me."
let me say that we were no where near there. it's probably even a stretch to call what we were doing "dating". i liked him. he liked me. but he also liked being a guy that wasn't in a relationship. that's all i will say about him.
i think on some level he meant it. he went on to marry someone much prettier than me. she's tall. and lean. and well, that's all about that. i'm not mad at him. i think he's a great guy. but the comment was horrible. especially after the ham hock comment.
i know that body image is something that all us girls deal with. i deal with depression on top of that. so the two like to party sometimes and well, it's hard for me.
i say all that to say that i'm about to do something about it. i'm about to change my lifestyle.
i'm tired of saying that i'll start working out, i'll enjoy wearing a summer clothes, i'll be comfortable in a swimsuit a year from now.
I WANT IT NOW. i want to be confident. i want to be fit. i want to be healthy on the inside. i crave it. i really do.
so january 30th, i start a long journey. a journey to be better. to eat better. to exercise better. to be happier. or on some days to be happy.
i am going to be doing p90x. i know this works because i saw my sister's body completely transformed by it. she's going to be doing p90x too. so this will be awesome for me. i need accountability. i'm also going to be doing shakeology. a meal replacement. but that's where i draw the line with anything like that. i don't want to be on diet pills. i don't want to skip meals. i LOVE to eat. i want my children to see me eat. i don't want them to ever feel like i skipped a meal. i was raised by a mother who can cook anything better than any restaurant ever could. i want the same for my boys. i want them to eat veggies. and fruits. and whole grain. and sometimes we will have meat. etc, etc.
i feel pounds lighter already. i needed to get that off my chest. it defines so much of who i am today. okay. that's all.
being a girl is hard. this world we live in is mean. i will do my best to teach my boys to respect everyone. their body. their mind. all of it. if i ever hear either of my children call anyone "ham hock legs" i might die.
happy weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
you know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - dr. seuss
About Me
- hannah
- i'm a girl who likes to write. not a girl that's necessarily good at writing. it's cathartic, i think. and boy do i need that from time to time. i married a wonderful man named clint in may of 2007. he is everything i am not. he is calm. he makes plans. he is organized. his truck is always clean. his clothes are hung by types of shirt/color/size/etc. i'm full of nervous energy. i'm spur of the moment. i can't ever find what i'm looking for. we live in my car...pretty much. i'm lucky if my clothes are within ten feet of my closet. God gave us a precious angel of a baby in september of 2008. his name is pratt allen. he is 2.5 years old.we have another little one on the way. his name is max wesley. and he is due may 19th. somehow i'll be the mother of two boys. craaaaa.zy. i spend my days cleaning house. picking worms and caterpillars out of the flower beds. cooking meals. shopping at target. washing clothes. playing on the floor. reading books. doing puzzles. traveling to sonic. and the library. and blogging. i hope you enjoy our blog. feel free to leave a comment. hopefully it's a nice one. i tend to wear my heart on my sleeve.
5 comments:
Proud of you for opening yourself up like this. We are doing a 21 day "Daniel" fast at our church right now. Well, I'm fasting sodas/tea, etc. but not meat and dairy because I'm still bfing..but anyway. Our pastor sends an email everyday of our prayer focus for the fast, and today's was health and healing. How appropriate is the timing? :) Well, I just wanted to encourage you and let you know there are a lot of us right there with you.
1.) you do NOT have ham hock legs. 2.) I will be praying for you. 3.) I can't stand tony and drea. 4.) no matter what your goal and how you get there you should be proud of yourself and know that you are a great role model for your sons:)
hannah fielder, you are one of the prettiest women i know.
and smart, and funny, and kind.
if you need a cheerleader on this next journey, count me on.
Dannis is so right... I've always always been envious of your natural beauty... While I was putting on makeup, you never needed it... However I know how you feel and mark my word after about 3 solid weeks if p90x you will feel FABULOUS!!!! We've got this... No biggie at all... And no we are not starving ourselves... The entire time I did p90 and insanity I ate good stuff... Never skipped a meal... And never skipped French fries;)
I love you... So so much!
I've been reading your blog for a while, and I'm just now commenting. I went to Ouachita and somehow found your blog thru a friend of a friend of a friend, etc. You are fabulous! I love how honest you are. My husband and I don't have kids and have begun the debate of when we should. I have real, serious fears about raising kids. I love that you voice your fears and worries. It lets me know that I'm not being irrational. So thank you for easing my worries on someday possibly being a mom. It's hard to read those blogs that seem so "perfect" and make raising kids look so easy and worry-free. Keep on being real. It's refreshing.
On the weight/body image issue, I feel ya. I remember becoming overly self-conscious when a boy in high school told me I had big, child-bearing hips. That's a real self-esteem booster. I'm trying (slowly) to get into jogging. it's hard at 30. Wish I'd done this 5 years ago. Good luck with P90X - I'm anxious to hear how it goes - you're a trooper!
Post a Comment