Tuesday, March 19, 2013

my advice for new moms.

a friend of mine messaged me this morning on facebook.

she's a little more than halfway through her first pregnancy.  and from the message, i can sense hesitation.  and fear.  excitement, for sure...but if i remember correctly, there is just an overwhelming sense of the unknown.

and as i wrote her back, it got me thinking about what i would say to a new mom.  a new mom who is expecting soon.  via her own belly.  or someone adopting.  doesn't matter how the kid gets here.  all that matters is what happens once they are left in your care.  remember that?

forgive yourself.  because you'll make so many mistakes.  you'll learn that some things work...and others don't.  nursing.  not nursing.  latching on.  the pain that makes your toes bend in ways you didn't think they could bend.

you'll spend money on fancy bottles only to realize that colic and fussiness has little to do with the bottle.

you'll cry.  and you'll laugh.  like minutes apart.  you'll feel crazy.  then you'll convince yourself this is all normal.  and that murdering your husband really does make the most sense.  because by god he really should be able to read your mind at this point.  and if he sleeps through one more night, you will cut him in his sleep.

you will experience the highest of highs.  you will look at this person that you created.  and you'll love your body like never before.  you'll appreciate your thighs.  and tummy.  and you'll feel a sense of power that was foreign to you.  you'll look at that baby and realize that you would literally kill someone with your bare hands should they ever try to hurt him or take him from you.  you will look at your husband think he's the best daddy.  the best husband.  and that somehow you are the luckiest person on planet earth.  and you'll post this to facebook.

you will at some point, be at your lowest.  maybe when you're watching your mother drive away.  and you think to yourself, "this is all really jacked up that someone thinks i, of all people, should be left to mother and care for another human being."  you will wonder what you ever saw in your husband.  yes, you love him.  but why does he not understand?  why does he say things like, "he's so tired. i bet he sleeps all night long tonight."  and you'll be all, "uh, hello.  you have no idea what being overtired means.  so just stop talking to me."  and you will reach out to girlfriends who aren't married and you will want them to promise you that a. they will never marry men.  and b.  they will never have children.  and at some point, you'll post this to facebook too.

you will learn to go potty in front of an audience.  you will learn to wipe with one hand while holding a baby.  you'll learn how to unbutton your pants while holding a baby.  and pull your pants down and up.  and wash your hands....ALL while holding another human being AND making sure fecal matter doesn't fly up and get in his face/mouth/sippy cup.

you'll realize that dirt really doesn't hurt.  and that pacifiers will hit the floor and you don't really have to have a wipe.  you really can just dip them in your water/tea/diet coke and give them back.  you'll find out that foam letters can be eaten by a 1 year old and that when they come out the other end, the body actually does NOT break them down.  a red A will still be a red A coming out.  no changes.

you will wonder where your body went.  and you'll be super pissed that you didn't appreciate your boobs/butt/thighs prior to the baby being born. and on this...get in those pictures.  don't step out because you're overweight.  or chubby.  or you have a zit.  stay in there.  be a part of those memories.  you'll be thankful later.  and trust me on this.  your child thinks you are the most beautiful person they know.  i promise.  so don't burden them with your self consciousness.  be bigger than that.

you'll realize that jumping on a trampoline and NOT peeing yourself isn't a given.  you'll learn that sneezing means you should wear depends.  unless you want to smell like a nursing home.

you will want to call your mom and apologize for being helpless for the first year of life.   and being trouble for the next 5 years.  and being ugly.  and manipulative.  and all those things.  and you'll cry. and probably beg her to come save you.

and about the saving part...don't be afraid to ask for help.  don't be afraid to admit defeat.  don't be afraid to wave the white flag.  or admit that it's been 3 days since you've had a shower because you can't figure out how to DO IT ALL.

understand/realize/accept that NO ONE has ever gotten through  motherhood/postpartum alone.  it's impossible.  just like it's impossible to explain to your husband that wearing his underwear just feels better.  he will look at you like you're crazy and say, "just keep them.  they are yours."  and that's cool.  because your butt might not fit into your underwear for a while.  or ever if you're like me.  because hips really do spread, damn it.

surround yourself with people who love you.  people who will ALWAYS love you.  people who won't remind you of the crazy crap you said when your kid had been screaming AT you for 3 solid months..for 90 SOLID DAYS.  let them love you.  let them bring you dinner.  let them hold your baby while you shower.  let them do whatever they are willing to do.  and hug them.  and say thank you.  and do the same for them when they need it.  because that's where God is.  He is in the love.  the kindness.  the friendships.  that's where we will find Him.

know that all things will come to pass.  there really is a light at the end of each tunnel.  that everything is really a phase.  the colic.  the fussiness.  the endless diapers.  the hell that is putting on a new crib sheet.  and yes, you actually WILL always cuss while doing this.

it will all end.  at some point, your 4 year old will beg that you not rub them down with baby lotion.  so go ahead and let your 1 year old put as much lotion as he wants all over his body.  and all over the clean changing table cover.  who cares.  one day, the smell of baby lotion will make you cry.  because you'll miss it.  you will.  believe me.  i know. i'm living it.

take the medicine.  go to therapy.  be honest.  it's good for you.  there is power in honesty.  there is love in humility.  and by being honest, we reach so many more.

ignore those who are telling you you're doing something the wrong way.  and listen...trust me on this...THEY ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS.  because true friends love you no matter what.  true friends don't care about nursing.  or sleeping.  or cosleeping.  true friends say things like, "you have to take care of yourself, hannah.  because if you aren't well....pratt will never be well.  so let's worry about you.  and let's tell everyone else to kiss your a."

that's what true friends say.  you can quote me on that.  give them my cell number.

get ready to see how God feels about you.  as His child.  because you have NO idea what love is...until you hold your baby in your arms.  that's a fact.

and in the end, in wrapping all this mess up, i stand by what i first said.

FORGIVE YOURSELF.

because you will make countless mistakes.  you will cry more times in your shower (so no one sees you) than you ever thought possible.  just promise to try again tomorrow.  promise to learn from your mistakes.  that's all we can do.

now go be happy.  and kind.  and hug your husband.  because he will get you through this when no one else is able.  you will realize that he really is the best.  and you really are the luckiest.  and know you are about to love like you didn't know possible.  so just get ready.

xoxo,
hannah.

7 comments:

RachB said...

I love everything About this. You are just such a great encourager. I love it bc it's so so so real. Every bit. Even the killing part. I love you. Like a fat kid loves cake.

Brittany Schwaigert said...

I love every single word. Couldn't have said it better myself!
I once told Ryan two funny things that I never thought would come out of my mouth. "I just want to change my tampon ALONE!" And just last week, "I don't want anyone in the house to TOUCH ME ANYMORE TONIGHT!" LOL

Adventures of Three Harts said...

This is my favorite post in the history of Hannah.

The most real and truthful thing I've read in a long time!

Cookie said...

Great post Hannah. Wish I could say that your writing skills came from me, but I just have one thing to add. If by chance, you lose a parent or a loved one during this time, you will survive with the help of God, friends and family. I know because I'm living proof!

Liz said...

A friend posted this on her facebook page & I had to come read it. I'm all about being REAL & this is one of those topics that mamas NEED someone to be real about. What a GREAT post!!! Love it!

Anonymous said...

I looooove this, and wish I had been able to read it sometime closer to when my daughter was born 2 1/2 years ago. It's all true, except for me there is no husband to want to kill, lol. I adopted my little girl by myself (no I wasn't declared clinically insane at the time...now, maybe). There is a very good reason why children should have a mother and father...it is too much for one person. But my daughter was born into an awful situation, and she needed someone to fight for her. So fight I did. I took care of her since she was born, but it took 14 months to finalize her adoption...it was a mess. Anyway, I have to remind myself when I feel defeated, which is often, that she is much better off with me than she would have been if I hadn't fought for her. But it is hard. Really hard. I love what you wrote about accepting help and then helping others when they need it. I will always remember what it's like to not have help when you need it, and when I have raised my daughter, I will look out for people who are trying to do this alone and help them.

Anonymous said...

I don't mean to sound like no one has helped me. I have had a lot of support at times, but at the end of the day, it's just me and her. And sometimes when no one is around and I'm desperate for someone's help, I'm afraid to ask.

you know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - dr. seuss

About Me

My photo
i'm a girl who likes to write. not a girl that's necessarily good at writing. it's cathartic, i think. and boy do i need that from time to time. i married a wonderful man named clint in may of 2007. he is everything i am not. he is calm. he makes plans. he is organized. his truck is always clean. his clothes are hung by types of shirt/color/size/etc. i'm full of nervous energy. i'm spur of the moment. i can't ever find what i'm looking for. we live in my car...pretty much. i'm lucky if my clothes are within ten feet of my closet. God gave us a precious angel of a baby in september of 2008. his name is pratt allen. he is 2.5 years old.we have another little one on the way. his name is max wesley. and he is due may 19th. somehow i'll be the mother of two boys. craaaaa.zy. i spend my days cleaning house. picking worms and caterpillars out of the flower beds. cooking meals. shopping at target. washing clothes. playing on the floor. reading books. doing puzzles. traveling to sonic. and the library. and blogging. i hope you enjoy our blog. feel free to leave a comment. hopefully it's a nice one. i tend to wear my heart on my sleeve.